Friday, April 1, 2011

The story of a feeder

After spending over three years in North Dakota with no trees in the yard, and nowhere to put a feeder, I am probably a little over-enthusiastic about the feeder I have now in my yard in Oswego, IL.  I've always been an avid birder, but without much opportunity to do so over the last few years, I've gotten a little rusty.  Because I've had to relearn many things about maintaining a feeder and attracting birds, I thought I would share my knowledge with you.  To start off, here is a picture of my feeder setup.

  
I have a traditional feeder with your standard wild bird seed mixed with safflower to keep the grackles and starlings away.  I also have a suet feeder to attract the woodpeckers.  Finally, I just put up a "finch sock" with thistle seed. 

Here is the first visitor I received at my feeder after I put it up this February.


Dark-eyed Junko

No comments:

Post a Comment